What’s happening in your Community
Xcel Energy is installing 4.5 miles of new natural gas line in Fargo and West Fargo. This project will accommodate and support area growth to continue to serve existing and new customers and enhance system resiliency during cold weather.
This project is being constructed as part of our commitment to system revitalization and allow us to continue to provide the safe, reliable natural gas service you expect.
Construction began in May 2021, and will continue until project completion in fall 2021.
Please note that construction schedules are subject to change.
During construction, you may experience the following:
- Marking of utility lines and “potholing” to verify their locations.
- Partial or complete road closures.
- Traffic control measures, including detours.
- Potential changes to residential and business access.
- Elevated noise during construction and testing.
We will work to reduce inconveniences during this work, and we will restore work areas to preconstruction conditions.
- We will temporarily restore work areas after construction. Areas may remain temporarily restored until warmer weather returns.
- Restoration will be completed by specialized contractors.
- We will provide updates about anticipated impacts and restoration timelines.
We will install the natural gas lines by open trenching and boring.
- Open trenching involves digging a trench and placing the natural gas line in the trench.
- Boring involves clearing and underground pathway between two endpoints through which a natural gas line is pulled or drilled.
- Before placing natural gas lines in the trench or bore, sections of pipe are welded together and inspected by x-ray. See a graphic of open trenching and boring construction processes.