Public safety is at the foundation of all we do. The safety of the public around Xcel Energy’s natural gas system influences every decision we make. Xcel Energy takes a proactive approach to public safety by implementing safety measures before, during and after construction.
The project has been designed to continue to meet federal and state standards and safety requirements for installing, maintaining and operating natural gas infrastructure.
For your safety and the safety of our crews, please follow all posted signage and traffic control directions. Please adhere to the following while traveling through work zones:
- Reduce speeds while traveling through construction areas.
- Watch for crews and equipment.
- Do not enter active construction areas.
- Be aware that traffic patterns may shift as construction progresses.
- Don’t text or talk on the phone while driving.
Call Before You Dig
A common cause of natural gas incidents results from improper or unauthorized digging near underground utilities. Prior to digging, call 811 or visit ndonecall.com to have buried utility lines located and marked. Locating buried lines before digging prevents potentially dangerous natural gas conditions that result from digging into or nicking a buried gas line. .
Learn to Recognize a Natural Gas Leak
If you ever suspect a natural gas leak, leave your home or business immediately. Once you are safely away, call 911, then Xcel Energy at 800.895.2999. It is important to know how to recognize potentially dangerous natural gas leaks, so use your senses. Signs of a natural gas leak include:
- A “rotten egg” or sulfur-like odor, although it may smell differently to you.
- Hissing, whistling or roaring sounds outside near the natural gas line or inside near an appliance.
- Dirt spraying into the air or continuous bubbling in a pond or creek.
- Unexplained dead or dying vegetation.
Natural Gas Construction Safety
During construction and installation of the natural gas line, the following measures are taken:
- Implementation of a corrosion prevention system designed to eliminate metal loss during the life of the natural gas line.
- Verification of the integrity of the natural gas line through x-ray of all pipe welds by an independent third party.
Once the natural gas line has been installed and prior to putting it into service, the following steps are taken:
- Internal inspection of the natural gas line with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Performance of internal pressure tests using water or air to verify the line’s integrity.
During the lifetime of the natural gas line, the following occurs:
- Annual leak surveys and immediate responses to identified anomalies or hazardous leaks.
- Internal inspection of natural gas lines with “in-line” inspection technology.
- Continuous remote monitoring (24/7) of the natural gas line and all facility operations by Xcel Energy’s staffed gas control center.
For additional information on our commitment to safety, please visit: xcelenergy.com/Community/Public_Safety.